Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Random Review: "Kairos" by Sepultura

When I first heard Sepultura's newest album I didn't care for it at all.  I especially didn't like their cover of Ministry's Just One Fix, a personal favorite of mine.  The album kept popping up in my brain though and over time I've actually come to enjoy it very much.  It's a very old-school style of death metal, executed so perfectly that it feels eerily out of place among Sepultura's typically more progressive fare.  The album's cover art perfectly represents this with an image of a woman flipping an hourglass as her flesh dissolves into sand and bone.

Sepultura has undeniably suffered since the departure of Max Calavera, to the point that it's very cliched of me to even be mentioning it.  Kairos is the long overdue proof that they no longer need him.  Kairos, with its fascinating and novel reinterpretation of classic death metal, is Sepultura's finest work since their own classic, Roots.


And really, their cover of Just One Fix is perfect.


From the titular song Kairos:


never lost sight of my fate


Many tried to block my ways but persistence kept me going on
Now we trespass the line of time
Going back but I´m right here, now and then, all done


Kairos


Wake the dream and face the facts
Bridge the gap between the gaps
In every blast that starts your mind
You are there and only there you are


Kairos


The lines are crossed I´m way ahead
Just need to balance the razor´s edge
Nothing can stop us right now
Cause it was built from what we gave. That´s right!

No comments:

Post a Comment