I intend to eventually write an at length post about this stuff, but maybe I won't, and I just feel like posting something right now before I run out of coffee and, subsequently, motivation.
- War Communism was a horrifying mistake.
- Suppressing the Kronstadt Rebellion in 1921 unacceptable hypocrisy; if anything the Kronstadt revolutionaries were among the first ones to realize that something was going horribly wrong in the Soviet Union.
- The failure of the Bolsheviks to include the lower-class peasantry (not all peasant were 'peasants' in the sense we use the word today, some were actually quite wealthy) in the power structures of the new society they were trying to create was one of the crucial failures of the early Soviets. It led to a feedback cycle of callousness and hostility that led to senseless factionalism and frustrated the economic health of the Soviet Union, to say nothing of the brutality of the suppression of peasant discontent or the millions of people who starved to death.
- Many lefties support strict bans on handguns and rifles. This is born, in part, of an ignorance of the history of revolutionary struggle. One example; in Chile on the eve of Pinochet's military coup president Allende allowed the military and police to confiscate the weapons that were being hoarded in places such as factories as insurance against a fascist counter revolution. Allowing that disarmament to happen was, to put it mildly, completely moronic, and should have been apparent as such even before the coup happened.
- The United States does not have a problem that we are near the point of too strictly restricting access to weapons. The recent murders of Trayvon Martin and Bo Morrison have started to bring to people's attention a long-standing problem with our society: we have a culture and legal system that encourages violence and murder.
- When I write the word 'eve' I instinctively write it in all capital letters, as EVE. Holy shit I am addicted to EVE Online.
edited for formatting and grammar