Thursday, July 26, 2012

Wait, so "social spiders" are a thing?

So I was just killing time reading random things about different species of spiders and decided that, since every type of spider that I'm aware of is a solitary creature, I'd do a search for "social spider".

What....the.....

Yeah yeah yeah whatever, the link is to Wikipedia, but still this blew my mind:
Even widow spiders (genus Latrodectus), which are notoriously aggressive and cannibalistic, have formed small colonies in captivity, sharing webs and feeding together
I guess there is hope for Republicans after all!

Anyway, I have the strange feeling that I've discovered my latest obsession.  Last semester I wrote a paper on hyenas because I read about them obsessively, maybe my next one will be on spiders.


Stop laughing.  Spider colonies are so fucking cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment