Monday, October 25, 2010

Too Little Too Late

I really enjoyed playing the first Assassin's Creed. The gameplay certainly wasn't very refined, but the game was, nonetheless, much more interesting than most of the other releases that year.

I still haven't played the sequel due to the fact that I've somehow accumulated quite the pile of books and video games that I intend to get around to someday. Assuming that the second one is any good I suppose I'll eventually get around to playing the upcoming Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood too. So when I saw some of commercials such as this one that show off the exclusive character you receive if you pre-order the game from GameStop it suddenly became very tempting to do just that.

The trailer in the above link isn't very good but the Harlequin character that it showcases is completely dementedly violent. And that's awesome.

Here is the problem though: it pisses me off that not everyone is going to get to play that character. Feel free to call me old-fashioned but I think that a video-game should be like a book or a movie; the core experience should be the same no matter which copy you have access to. I don't have a problem with receiving bonuses along with the game if you buy a special version; the 'journal' for Dr. Halsey that came with my copy of Halo Reach is, to put it delicately, fucking awesome.

When they start cutting up the game and packaging small parts of it so that they can only ever be obtained by specific customers who do business with the correct corporation at the correct time my bullshit meter freaks out though. Yes, they have every right to do that. Yes, it's not going to stop any time soon if ever.

I still refuse to play along with it though. So I'm not going to pre-order the game from GameStop or anywhere else that runs this same scheme.

Unless it's a new Panzer Dragoon game. I loves me my Panzer Dragoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment